The studio was created in 1981 and distinguished itself by the series “K-On!”, “Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” and many others. The series “Violet Evergarden” entered the global market with the support of Netflix.
On July 18, an unknown man set fire to the Kyoto Animation building. The fire claimed the lives of thirty-five workers and destroyed almost all the equipment in the building. According to the company’s lawyer, the archive was located behind a concrete wall, and the data from it was restored. This incident was one of the deadliest in Japanese history.
According to the director of the studio, the burnt building will be demolished. In its place will open a park and a monument in memory of the victims of the tragedy. The press release emphasized that Kyoto Animation will continue to create anime.
A complete list of victims is provided below:
- Ami Kuriki – 30 years old, animator. She worked on Violet Evergarden and the Freestyle! Franchise and other anime studios.
- Atsushi Ishida – 31 years old, animator.
- Atsushi Miyaji – 32 years old, animator. He participated in the projects “Voice Form”, “Liz and the Blue Bird” and others.
- Junity Uda – 34 years old, animator. He worked on intermediate animations in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Voice Form and other anime studios.
- Yoshiji Kigami – 61 years old, director, animator. The director Munto: The World Reflected in the Eyes of a Girl Looking at the Sky, Sound, Euphonium!
- Kana Matsuura – 24 years old.
- Kojiro Matsumoto – 25 years old.
- Kota Sato, 28, a seiyu, voiced by Ryojun Matsumoto from “The Tale of Sakura Demons: A Tale of Shinsengumi.”
- Keisuke Yokota – 34 years old, animator. He supervised the creation of Clannad, Hyok, and Violet Evergarden.
- Mayko Nishikawa – 29 years old;
- Maruko Tatsunari – 31 years old, animator “Voice Form”, “Sound, euphonium!” The Last Oath ”,“ Dragon Maid of Mrs. Kobayashi ”and others.
- Maken Yuko – 29 years old.
- Mikiko Watanabe – 35 years old, art director. He worked on Violet Evergarden, Dragon Maid Kobayashi’s Dragon, Amagi’s Magnificent Park and many other studio paintings.
- Miho Takechi – 25 years old, animator.
- Megumi Ono – 21 years old.
- Nami Iwasaki is 31 years old.
- Naomi Isis – 49 years old, color designer.
- Norie Oto – 26 years old, animator, anime Koe no Katachi (Voice Shape), Liz to Aoi Tori (Liz and the Blue Bird), Hibike! Euphonium Movie 3: Chikai no Finale (Sound, Euphonium! Last Oath) and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Movie: Take On Me
- Sana Suzuki – 30 years old, animator.
- Satie Tsuda – 41 years old, animator. She worked on “Lucky ☆ Star”, “Clannad”, “Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” and others.
- Sato Aya – 43 years old.
- Sayaka Watanabe – 27 years old.
- Shoko Ikeda – 44 years old, character design for the franchises “Haruhi Suzumiya” and “Sound, Euphonium!”
- Sumire Kusano – 32 years old, animator. “Voice form”, “Sound, euphonium!” The Last Oath ”,“ Violet Evergarden ”and others.
- Seiya Kawaguchi – 27 years old.
- Takahisa Fujita – 27 years old, production manager. “Voice form”, “Liz and the blue bird”, “Sound, euphonium! The last oath “,” The eccentricities of love is not an obstacle: Rely on me “and” On the other side of the border: I will be near – The Future. “
- Chitose Murayama – 49 years old.
- Tomoka Tokimori – 22 years old.
- Futoshi Nishiya – 37 years old, animator. Character designer in Voice Shape, Little Things in Life, Hyuk and the Freestyle! Franchise. The main animator is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
- Hiroyuki Takahashi – 48 years old, screenwriter.
- Shiho Morisaki – 27 years old, animator.
- Yuka Kasama – 22 years old. A recent graduate of Osaka University Seikey.
- Yuki Omura – 23 years old. A recent graduate of Tohoku University.
- Yumi Kaneo – 22 years old.
- Yasuhiro Takemoto – 47 years old, director and animator. Director of Hyoka, Amagi’s Magnificent Park.
At a nearby portal, Semyon Kostin told why this is one of the greatest tragedies of modern Japan and why KyoAni is so important for the industry.