One of the chips of modern smartphones to which we have long been accustomed is the oleophobic coating. Apple began to use this technology in the iPhone 3GS.
Now to find a smartphone or tablet without such a layer on the display is very difficult.
Why do I need oleophobic coating
Oleophobic coating is a special very thin layer on the surface of the display that repels fats and resists the appearance of pollution.
The coating can not be seen with the naked eye, but it is very easy to check its presence. It is enough to drop a drop of water on the display and tilt the device.
If water leaves a mark, there is no coverage on a smartphone or tablet, and if a drop flows smoothly and without a trace, there is coverage.
Here is an example of a device on which the oleophobic coating has long been erased
What are the advantages and disadvantages of an oleophobic coating?
The coated display is easier to keep clean, it is not so quickly covered with fingerprints, even with active use.
The coating improves the tactile sensations, the finger literally slides along the surface of the smartphone, the swipes are very light.
The main disadvantage of the olephobic coating is its fragility. The more actively you use a smartphone or tablet, the faster the cover will be erased.
The coating can be completely erased after six months of operation, often it is erased unevenly, quickly disappearing at the bottom of the display where the user more actively presses and makes swipes.
You can restore the coating by replacing the display with the original coated one or by applying a film with an oleophobic layer. Other methods for applying all kinds of gels, varnishes or waxes are unsafe.
They can damage the smartphone, and further contact with the skin of the owner can lead to negative consequences.
How to save oleophobic coating
The main enemy of the coating is friction. Of course, we will not abandon the operation of the gadget.
It is necessary to minimize the impact on the protective layer during cleaning and wiping the gadget.
What is safe to cover:
- wipe the display with special microfiber cloths;
- use specialized low alcohol products for cleaning;
- Wear your smartphone in a closed case to avoid excessive friction of the display on your clothes or bag.
What is dangerous to cover:
- Do not glue the protective film, it will minimize the benefit of the native oleophobic layer, and after removing it, the coating will be badly damaged;
- ordinary wet or dry wipes should not be used to wipe the device (the composition of the wet may be aggressive, and the dry may contain coarse particles);
- should not abandon the display on the display of high alcohol content and / or solvent-based and other non-mobile devices;
- you should not leave your smartphone in direct sunlight for a long time, the oleophobic coating is destroyed by ultraviolet radiation;
- Do not rub the display on clothes and carry it in your pocket without a closed case.
By following these simple rules, you can significantly extend the life of your native oleophobic coating on an iPhone or iPad.
The display will remain smoother and more pleasant to the touch, dirt and fingerprints will be less noticeable on the device.