The fire stopped extinguishing, because they were afraid that the water could wash the drink into the reservoirs.
On July 3, a fire broke out at the Jim Beam bourbon warehouse in the US state of Kentucky. Firefighters did not extinguish the fire, and the burning bourbon began to spread over local water bodies. This was reported by the newspaper Courier Journal, citing the authorities.
The fire started on the night of July 3 at the same time in two warehouses where 45 thousand barrels with bourbon of more than 7 million liters were stored. It is assumed that the cause of fire was lightning. As a result of the fire, no one was hurt.
The head of the Department of Emergency Situations at Woodford County Drew Chandler (Drew Chandler) said that after trying to extinguish the fire, the firefighters decided to suspend work. The authorities considered that burning the vapors would have less negative impact on the environment than extinguishing the fire.
The firefighters feared that when putting out the water, they could wash the remaining bourbon into the Kentucky River, where alcohol had already fallen. A spokesman for the state of the environment, John Mura (John Mura), said that a significant portion of the fish population would die due to low oxygen levels in the water. The authorities have already noticed “a few dead fish.”
According to the evaluation of Bloomberg, after the fire, the company could lose up to $ 300 million. The manufacturer noted, the incident will not affect the availability of the drink to consumers.