The elaboration of details in the HBO mini-film awakens interest in the documentary side of the disaster.
After the end of “Game of Thrones” in social networks and the media did not stop discussing the series from HBO, because the mini-film “Chernobyl” was released. The picture in the five series tells about the first days after the 1986 explosion, the exploits of people eliminating its consequences, and the leadership of the USSR trying to hide what had happened.
The most frequent compliment to “Chernobyl” is his attention to detail and the authenticity of the Soviet past, given that HBO did make a feature film, not a documentary. The first desire after viewing the new series is to immerse in the study of the causes of the disaster and find out how real the main characters of the picture are.
- Every April 26, the Russian media celebrate the anniversary of the Chernobyl accident with a series of materials on the topic – with memories, reports and secret documents. These collections are easier to read and easier to search than archives and books. “Such cases” were published by monologues and a retrospective of eyewitnesses to the catastrophe, Lenta.ru recalled how the Soviet censorship silenced what had happened, and Mediazone was tellingabout the litigation over the management and engineers of Chernobyl NPP – right in the evacuated city;
- There are quite a lot of documentaries about the disaster in Chernobyl – most of them are foreign. ” Chernobyl Bell ” – the first of them, shot by Ukrainian director and social activist Rolland Sergienko. He illegally went to the reactor a month after the accident and finished the picture in 1987. She was shown in all countries where there is television, which was a Guinness record. In the USSR, the tape was banned for several years;
- In the first two series, much attention is paid to the personality of Anatoly Dyatlov, deputy chief engineer of the Chernobyl NPP. Despite the prison, the radiation dose received and the age, a nearly hour-long conversation with him about the causes of the disaster was published on YouTube . An extended version of this is his book “ Chernobyl. How was it “;
- One of the main characters of “Chernobyl” – the liquidators of the consequences of the accident and firefighters. For more than 30 years after the disaster, a lot of materials about their exploits came out. TV channel “Star” with a story about the head of the engineering troops, RIA “Novosti” with the memories of surviving employees, BBC with a chronicle of how the dead were buried and poured with concrete and a fragment from the book “Chernobyl prayer” with the memories of the fireman’s wife;
- “Chernobyl” was filmed in Ukraine only partially, mainly in Lithuania. The authors were helped by the Ukrainian production company Radioaktive Film, which directed the filming in Kiev. Interview with its leader – about the creative challenge, the reconstruction of the Soviet style and cooperation with HBO;
- For those who lacked an artistic approach to the catastrophe – the book ” Chernobyl Notebook .” The author, Grigory Medvedev, worked at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant for several years and was located in Pripyat and Chernobyl after the disaster. In “Notebook” he tells about soldiers who were not afraid of radiation, and meetings of officials, where no one was aware of the scale of the incident;
- One-hour interview with those who found the Chernobyl accident and survived. A resident of Pripyat about how the liquidators, the military and her acquaintances died, Major General Nikolai Tarakanov about what kind of mutations began in the newborn and the former station operator about how the disaster happened;
- Is it true that mutants live on the territory of the present Pripyat and do not grow trees? Analysis of the scale of the impact of a catastrophe on the nature and how a unique ecosystem was formed there;
- What is happening with the Exclusion Zone now and whether there is life there is a photo report of 2015 and the story of a man who traveled to Chernobyl and Pripyat four times.