Service of the Ministry of the Interior does not violate the rules of Google Play, they are confident in the company.Absher Photo by Al Jazeera app
- Google refused to delete the Absher government of Saudi Arabia from Google Play, which allows men to track the movements of their relatives and restrict their travels;
- The company has considered complaints from human rights defenders, but stated that the service does not violate any rules. Google’s press office responded to a request from members of the US Congress, who also demanded the removal of Absher;
- The application works as a service of the Ministry of the Interior of Saudi Arabia: through it, citizens can get a passport or register a vehicle;
- However, Saudi men use Absher to restrict the travel of women, prohibit them from leaving the country, as well as choose places to travel;
- Apple CEO Tim Cook in response to a question about removing the application from the AppStore, said: “I did not know about it, but we will definitely conduct an investigation.” Google representatives did not comment.