Touch ID began to install for the first time on the iPhone 5S in 2013. Later, the scanner was equipped with new models of iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro.
At the moment there are 2 generations of sensors that are used in Apple technology:
Touch ID 1st generation is used in:
- iPhone 5s;
- iPhone 6/6 Plus;
- iPhone SE;
- iPad Air 2;
- iPad mini 3/4;
- iPad Pro 12.9 ″ (the first generation of 2015 release);
- iPad Pro 9.7 ″;
- iPad 2017/2018.
The faster 2nd generation Touch ID is installed in:
- iPhone 6S / 6S Plus;
- iPhone 7/7 Plus;
- iPhone 8/8 Plus;
- iPad Pro 10.5 ″;
- iPad Pro 12.9 ″ (second generation 2017 release);
- MacBook Pro 2016/2017.
Sensor generations differ only in response speed, not in the degree of fingerprint recognition. The features and techniques described below will work with Touch ID of both generations.
What affects the operation of the Touch ID
The fingerprint sensor at the time of appearance in the iPhone 5s was on the head above the available solutions from competitors. The developers managed to create a device that correctly reads the owner’s fingerprint fairly quickly and with high accuracy.
Two years later, the sensor was finalized, halving the sensor response time.
The sensor operation is definitely affected by pollution and liquids. Maximum accuracy of operation is guaranteed with a clean surface of the sensor and the absence of grease, dirt and water on the finger. Despite this, the scanner requires daily cleaning only under very difficult operating conditions.
Most users do not need to wipe the Touch ID or wash and wipe their hands before using the smartphone.
What does not affect the operation of the Touch ID
Sensor operation is not affected by ambient temperature and humidity. Even if you use the device in the cold, when the skin on your fingers shrinks a little, an insignificant change in fingerprints will not seriously affect the operation of the Touch ID.
Does not affect the speed of operation of the battery status of the smartphone and its charge level. Some users mistakenly believe that a sensor with a charged battery works better.
There is no confirmed proof of the presence of the Touch ID training system, when repeated touching the sensor in the Settings menu – Touch ID and a passcode increase the accuracy of the sensor response. In this menu, this is intended only to indicate the fingerprint entered.
How, then, to increase the accuracy of Touch ID
The essence of the method is to add several fingerprints of one finger, but at different angles and in different positions. If the fingerprint of the wife / husband, children or relatives is not entered on the smartphone, you can score all five slots with your data.
Use either two fingerprints for a non-working hand and three for a working hand, or four for a working hand and one for a non-working one.
1. Go to Settings – Touch ID and passcode and delete existing fingerprints.
2. Now add a new fingerprint for the hand that most often hold the smartphone. When adding a print, try to press the top of the fingertip against the sensor.
3. Add another fingerprint and re-enter the same finger, but most of the touches should be done by the bottom of the fingertip.
4. Add a third fingerprint for the same finger, but do not hold the smartphone in your hand with the usual grip, but in the most familiar place, for example, taking the iPhone out of your pocket.
5. Now you can add two fingerprints for the thumb of the second hand or just one such fingerprint, and the last one to secure the finger with the main finger in another atypical position, for example, by pressing on the smartphone in the car holder.
By adding two fingerprints to one finger (one for the top of the pad and the other for the bottom), you can add a large area of skin to the memory of the device. When you add a print in a special position (by taking it out of your pocket, in a holder or on a table), we teach the sensor to spread pressure at a certain angle.
This simple way will minimize the percentage of false positives of the Touch ID sensor.