A meeting of the National Security Service of Ukraine was held, at which Petro Poroshenko announced tomorrow’s vote in the Verkhovna Rada on the issue of martial law.
Martial law is introduced for a period of 60 days.
Before the voting results, some measures were introduced:
- transition to enhanced border control mode
- entry and exit of Ukrainian citizens from the country is not limited. PPC will work in normal mode
- restricted to the entry of citizens of the Russian Federation to Ukraine and departure from it.
- troops are on alert
- imposition of martial law is not tantamount to declaring war
Rada has 48 hours to make a decision. The discussion of the martial law format will be held in a closed mode However, representatives of the National Security Council have already assured that:
- the wartime is introduced for 60 days (the presidential election in Ukraine should take place in almost 5 months)
- the constitutional rights of citizens (including electoral rights) will not be limited
- freedom of speech and press will not be limited
- work of banks will be carried out in the normal mode
- martial law may not be introduced throughout the country
- may be a wave of mobilization
The deputy of the Verkhovna Rada, Andrei Teteruk, said that the absence of a restriction of constitutional rights means that the preparation for the presidential elections will not be affected.
According to Oleksandr Turchinov, secretary of the National Security and Defense Council, today for the first time the Russian Federation openly attacked the Ukrainian military. In previous years, all attacks were carried out without identification marks, today it happened under the flags of the Russian Federation, in confirmation of which the Ukrainian Interior Ministry received a video shot by the Russian military.
The NSDC regards the actions of the Russian Federation as military aggression in violation of Article 3 of UN Resolution 3314. In this regard, measures will be taken to strengthen the border.
The Ukrainian military leadership does not have information about the fate of the Ukrainian sailors captured by the special forces of the FSB. It is known that out of 23 people, six are injured, two are in serious condition.