The third unit works, despite the completion of the service time.
- According to sources from the Kommersant newspaper in the space industry, Russia has lost two of the three Earth remote sensing satellites Resource-P. Problems with them appeared after the launch;
- One of the satellites worked less than half of the term of five years because of problems with the thermal control system and the onboard computing system. He twice failed, after which he was finally removed from the orbital group;
- The second satellite worked for five months from the supposed five years because of the failure of the radio link transmitters through which information is transmitted to Earth. Since February 2017, designers have been researching it;
- The third unit continues to work “for its intended purpose in the interests of customers”, despite the fact that it has ended its useful life and there are “numerous” problems with the systems;
- “Resurs-P” used “Roskosmos”, the Ministry of Natural Resources, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Federal Agency for Fishery, the Federal Service for Hydrometeorology, the Ministry of Emergency Situations and the Federal Agency for State Registration and Administration. Panchromatic filming was carried out from orbit, which was used for both civilian and military purposes, for example, for surveying the terrain in Syria;
- Roscosmos and the Progress Rocket and Space Center, which the satellites do under a contract with the ministry, have not yet commented on the situation. The cost of one unit is more than 5 billion rubles. The launch dates for the new satellites are scheduled for November 2019 and 2020.