One of the interesting features of iOS 9 was the power saving mode. It allows you to extend the battery life of the iPhone due to disabling some system features and performance degradation.
You can activate the mode from the system settings, via the button in the Control Point, or with the help of Siri. During its operation, the battery indicator will turn yellow.
Automatically mode can not turn on , and when the iPhone battery is above 80%, the economy mode is turned off.
What turns off in power saving mode
IOS users do not have the flexibility to customize the power saving mode by choosing which options to disable and which ones to keep working.
It should be clearly understood what can not be expected and what chips will be unavailable.
The power saving mode affects the following processes:
1. The scan of email messages is suspended ( Settings – Passwords and Accounts – Data Download ).
2. The application stops working in the background ( Settings – General – Content Update ).
3. Automatic downloads of music, applications and updates are disabled ( Settings – iTunes Store and App Store ).
4. Some visual effects in the system are disabled (do not confuse with the option Reducing Motion ).
5. The time of automatic blocking is reduced to 30 seconds without the possibility of changing ( Settings – Screen and brightness – Automatic blocking ).
6. The work of the iCloud Media Library is suspended (the service does not shut down completely, the upload and download of data occurs less frequently).
7. Reduced system performance. There are no exact numbers here, in different cases the performance of the device can drop by 20-50%.
Even in iOS 11, when the power saving mode was turned on, the function “Hi, Siri” wasdisabled , making it impossible to start the assistant with voice. In iOS 12, the chip does not stop working when the economy mode is on.
In what cases is the regime effective?
In practice, it is rather difficult to notice a large increase in autonomy.
If at 100% charge to activate the power saving mode, the device will work on average for 4-5 hours longer. When you turn on savings of 10-20% of the charge, you can get an increase in autonomy for a maximum of an hour.
Such savings are not suitable for everyone, it is much easier to charge the smartphone on the road with the help of the PowerBank and, without restrictions, to reach the outlet.
Almost all parameters that are activated in the power saving mode are easily adjusted manually.
In topic: how to extend the battery life of iOS 12
You can turn off unnecessary things in advance, leave important ones and get an increase in autonomy similar to the power saving mode. Such a set of parameters will regularly extend the running time of the smartphone and will not need manual activation.
The only thing that can not be changed independently is the performance of the smartphone .
In order to see how your device “degrades” in power saving mode, it is enough to download any application with a performance test ( Geekbench 4 or AnTuTu ) and take measurements with economy mode turned on and off.
Notice the difference in battery life will only work with the active use of the iPhone. In standby mode, especially not save.
For basic tasks, the performance of the gadget is enough, but in time-consuming games, applications with augmented reality or complex calculations, energy saving will greatly affect the speed of data processing.
Include or not?
As you can see, you can get a real increase in autonomy only when the mode is activated at full charge of the battery. If you are ready to put up with the “brakes” in games or do not use heavy applications at all, you can safely activate the mode.
Extend the time in the saving mode will turn out for active smartphone users, if the device most of the day lies with a black screen, the effect will be minimal.
Remember that to activate the yellow battery at 5-10% of the charge of the smartphone is meaningless. It is much more efficient to disable some elements of the system in advance without sacrificing performance.