around the world

“He ate snow and prayed”: as a pilot of a helicopter crashing down in Yakutia, he waited four days to rescue

He was helped to survive exercise and thoughts about relatives.

Alexander Novoseltsev. Photo JSC “Polar Airlines”

On September 29, a light-duty helicopter Robinson made a hard landing in the mountains of Yakutia at an altitude of more than 1600 meters. On board was only the pilot Alexander Novoseltsev, who followed the route Srednekolymsk-Yakutsk. He had to wait for rescuers for four days.

On October 1, Novoseltsev did not get in touch, but managed to transfer his coordinates to the rescuers. The search operation was hampered by bad weather, the rescuers could not fly because of a blizzard for four days. On October 3, rescuers got to the pilot and took him to the hospital.

On October 4, Novoseltsev told Channel Five how he survived while waiting for rescuers. According to him, the crash occurred due to heavy snowfall.

He ate snow and prayed. [Thought] only about relatives. I am extremely happy, madly grateful to the guys who saved me.

Alexander Novoseltsev

In order not to freeze and freeze his extremities, Novoseltsev slept for 10 minutes, doing exercises and rubbing. He also burned the helicopter trim. He noted that after the rescue feels “excellent.” Novoseltsev also understood that rescuers traveled to him for a long time – he explained this with bad weather.

Alexander Novoseltsev with volunteers and lifeguards. Photo SakhaDaily
Alexander Novoseltsev with volunteers and lifeguards. Photo SakhaDaily

The deputy head of the base of the Far Eastern Aviation Search and Rescue Center reported that the first thing he asked for after the rescue of Novoseltsev was a cup of hot tea. An anesthesiologist at the Momsky District Hospital, Yuri Ponomarev, told RIA Novosti that the pilot’s condition is satisfactory, nothing happened to his health.

The details of the rescue Novoseltseva with the publication of SakhaPress shared the head of the village Sasyr Pavel Marakazov. Simultaneously with the rescuers, three groups of volunteers set off to search for the pilot.

According to Marakazov, they learned about the helicopter on the day of the crash, September 29. After specifying the coordinates, three fire brigade officers, a doctor and a police officer were dispatched to the scene. The group left all-terrain vehicles at 8 pm and reached the mouth of the Tala river in the morning. Because of the snowstorm that had begun, the group had to be nailed to the herders, but on October 4 they had not returned home yet. The second group was sent on October 2, it consisted of three people. When the volunteers got to the crash site, a team of Emergencies Ministry was already working at the site.


Back to top button