UPDATE: Download link in the Mac App Store.
Three and a half months after the announcement, Apple finally released the final version of the new operating system macOS Mojave. Read the name of the operating system as “Mojave” – in honor of the desert in the south-west of the United States.
The update is already available in the Mac App Store under Updates. Before installing the system, be sure to back up your data using the Time Machine utility.
Which computers and laptops support macOS Mojave
The list of devices with which compatible macOS Mojave is very extensive. Officially update will receive:
- IMac models released in late 2012 or later
- MacBook models released in early 2015 or later
- MacBook Pro models released in mid-2012 or later
- MacBook Air models released in mid-2012 or later
- Mac mini models released in late 2012 or later
- Models Mac Pro, released in late 2013, as well as in mid-2010 and 2012 gg. with the recommended video card supporting Metal.
- IMac Pro models released in late 2017 or later
Unofficially, the same system can be installed on an earlier model of “poppy”.
To do this, install the macOS Mojave Patcher utility. More information about installing the macOS Mojave on Apple computers and laptops that are not included in the official list of supported ones can be read here .
What’s new in macOS Mojave
macOS Mojave became the fifteenth version of the operating system from Apple. The main emphasis of the developers did on improving the work of the predecessor macOS High Sierra.
Some of the applications Mojave borrowed from iOS. In the dekstopnoy operating system there were such applications as: Shares, House, Dictaphone.
Among the main innovations are:
- The appearance of a dark color scheme. Native theme support in Photos, Messages, Maps, Mail, Calendar. A separate API for developers.
- Updated Mac App Store with global redesign.
- Continuity Camera function for fast shooting and scanning of documents with the help of iPhone or iPad. Scan on an iOS device and then transfer it to the Mac.
- Increased level of privacy for applications that require access to the camera, microphone and personal data. Applications will need to be granted permission.
- Group calls FaceTime with support up to 32 participants.
- The mode of viewing the Gallery View in the Finder.
- Information about metadata in the Finder.
- The ability to sort files with one extension into “Stacks” to save space on the desktop.
- Dynamic wallpaper, which vary depending on the time of day.
- Widgets for commenting on social networks, automatic generation of passwords, increased privacy in the browser Safari.
- New screenshot editor.
A detailed list of changes and analysis of each we published in a separate material .
Moreover, according to Apple, the macOS Mojave system has become more stable and optimized, thereby consuming less system resources.
Well, the time to click “Update” and evaluate the new OS, which is distributed free of charge.