At the last presentation, Apple called the exact release date for the final version of iOS 12. The release will take place today, September 17, presumably at 20:00 Moscow time.
Before upgrading, we strongly recommend that you read the information in this article.
What devices will iOS 12 work on?
A list of smartphones and tablets that will receive an upgrade to iOS 12, Apple called on WWDC 2018. He was pleased with the support of the iPhone 5s – a smartphone released five years ago!
Moreover, on this “old man” the system literally flies .
Here are all the gadgets Apple, for which released iOS 12:
- iPhone 5s and iPhone SE
- iPhone 6, 6s , 7 , 8 and the corresponding “Plus” models
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS and XS Max (will be shipped with iOS 12)
- iPhone XR
- iPod 6th generation
- iPad Pro (10.5 “, 12.9” models of 2 generations)
- iPad Pro 9.7 ”
- iPad 5 and 6 generations
- iPad Air, iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 2, 3, 4
Agree, Apple behaved decently. All smartphones and tablets that received the update before iOS 11, can count on the installation of iOS 12.
And what’s new in iOS 12
There are a lot of changes in the new OS. We talked about them separately . And if in brief, then iOS 12:
- Has received the best optimization, due to what it works faster and more stable. You can note this when you run applications such as Camera or when typing.
- Improved menu multitasking.
- Optimized for “old” devices, like the iPhone 5s and iPad Air.
- There was support for Memoji – “live” emoticons created based on the user’s face.
- Four new animogies were added.
- The algorithms for working augmented reality on the ARKit 2 engine are improved.
- A detailed statistics of the device usage appeared.
- There was a function to block notifications for a certain period of time.
- Advanced “Do not disturb” mode.
- Improved search for the Gallery, the selection of the best photos.
- Quick commands Siri.
- Improved privacy protection in the Safari browser. Now it has a built-in password generator, like the desktop version.
- The iPad had a dictaphone, iBooks and the application Shares received a redesign.
- iOS 12 offers the auto-complete feature of the security code (when the SMS message arrives, the form is filled automatically).
- CarPlay received support for third-party applications for navigation.
- In the Battery Settings, more statistics are collected about its use.
And Apple promises to present group video calls FaceTime, with support for up to 32 users. But, according to the official website of the company, it will happen a little later.
What should I do before updating?
By tradition – do not be too lazy to create a backup copy. You can do this either using iTunes on a Mac or Windows (having updated it to the current version), or by sending a backup copy to the cloud.
Please note that more than 10 GB of free space may be required for the backup. How many? Depends specifically on the load of your device.
Backup using iTunes
Step 1. Open iTunes and connect the device using USB -> Lightning cable.
Step 2. In the menu, select your device.
Step 3. Select the Create copy now , and go to drink coffee – the process is long.
Backup using iCloud
Step 1: Connect your smartphone or tablet to Wi-Fi.
Step 2. Open Settings -> Name in iCloud.
Step 3. Select Backup in iCloud <-> Create backup .
Please note that before creating a copy in iCloud there must be enough free space.
PS The most important thing! If you are going to the shift today, do not forget to grab the charger;)