After the presentation of Apple, which took place on September 12, many had a natural question – which of the new iPhone to buy itself for the next year or two: XR or XS.
Everyone should answer it on their own. This material is designed to simplify this solution: it contains basic information about the iPhone XR and iPhone XS .
The front and back panels of the iPhone XR and iPhone XS are made of durable tempered glass. It resists shocks and scratches: there are no differences between the devices.
The devices are characterized by three facts:
- The material of the side frame: in XR it is made of brushed aluminum, in XS – from polished steel
- Available in black, white, blue, yellow, coral and red; XS in silver, black and gold
- Waterproof: XR is protected by the standard IP67 (immersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes), XS – IP68 (up to 2 meters for 30 minutes)
Brushed aluminum is resistant to scratches and practicality, polished steel – appearance and tactile sensations.
Despite the difference in moisture protection, you can not swim with either the first or the second device.
Today, Apple uses screens of two types: Super Retina in the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and Liquid Retina in the iPhone XR.
About screens in more detail:
- iPhone XS: 5.8-inch OLED-screen with a resolution of 2436×1125 pixels, density of 458 pixels per inch, contrast ratio of 1 000 000: 1, brightness up to 625 cd / m²
- iPhone XS Max: 6.5-inch OLED-screen with a resolution of 2688×1242 pixels, density of 458 pixels per inch, a contrast of 1 000 000: 1, brightness up to 625 cd / m²
- iPhone XR: 6.1-inch LCD screen with a resolution of 1792×828 pixels, a density of 326 pixels per inch, a contrast of 1,400: 1, brightness of up to 625 cd / m²
Due to the subpixel grid features, on the LCD screen of individual points with the naked eye it is not visible already at 300 PPI. As a result, the pixels are indistinguishable both in the first and in the second case.
Please note, an important feature – the screen of the iPhone XR does not support 3D Touch
The iPhone XR is a cross between the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max.
Here are the dimensions and weight:
- iPhone XS: 143.6×70.9×7.7 mm, 177 g
- iPhone XR: 150.9×75.7×8.3 mm, 194 g
- iPhone XS Max: 157.5×77.4×7.7 mm, 208 g
It is better to take each device in hand before buying to understand how convenient it is to use.
- iPhone XS (Max): 64, 256 or 512 GB
- iPhone XR: 64, 128, or 256 GB
Installed in the iPhone XR and iPhone XS, the front modules of the True Depth camera do not differ.
They take photos with a resolution of 7 megapixels, aperture size ƒ / 2.2, there is a “Portrait” mode with adjustable depth of field, Animoji and Memoji.
The main cameras are different:
- iPhone XS: dual camera at 12 megapixel with wide-angle (ƒ / 1.8) and telephoto lens (ƒ / 2.4)
- iPhone XR: single camera at 12 mp with wide-angle lens ƒ / 1.8
Both main cameras are able to work with the “Portrait” mode. The iPhone XS uses for this purpose a hardware difference in lenses and technology of machine learning, XR – only machine learning technologies.
iPhone XS can take pictures with a double zoom without losing quality, iPhone XR – no.
Both cameras use HDR at the time of shooting the video at 30 frames per second and record the sound in stereo.
All new iPhone work on the A12 Bionic processor.
It has 6 cores: 2 productive ones for complex tasks and 4 energy efficient ones for simple ones.
This is the first mobile chip, which is produced by 7 nm technical process . It is 15% faster and 50% more energy efficient than the solution of the previous generation.
Due to the difference in screen resolution, there is a suspicion that the iPhone XR may be more productive .
The iPhone XR wins on battery life: it can play video without interruption on the wireless network for 16 hours against 15 hours for the iPhone XS Max and 14 hours for the iPhone XS.