Last night, Apple showed the new iPhone Xs, and at the same time removed from sales last year’s flagship iPhone X.
. for the version of 64 GB and up to 118 990 rubles. an iPhone with 512 GB of memory.
Diagonal display remained the same – 5.8 inches, design and layout of cameras unchanged. So is it worth overpaying 23 thousand rubles. (the actual difference at the time of publication of the material) for the iPhone Xs or “ten” will not be any worse?
iPhone Xs , in terms of design, is a complete copy of the iPhone X. Of the changes, it can be noted that the fact that the iPhone Xs is 3 grams heavier than the iPhone X: 177 against 174 grams.
To the assortment of flowers one more “golden” one was added. Now the company’s flagship smartphone is available in three colors.
According to Apple, the iPhone Xs has a stronger protective glass . And on the display itself, and on the back of the case. It seems that the glass caused a slight increase in weight.
The diagonal of the iPhone Xs display is the same, the resolution is exactly the same: 2436 x 1125 pixels (458 ppi). The contrast and maximum brightness of the Super Retina screen have not changed.
But the dynamic range increased by 60% . Whether this will notice the human eye is a contentious issue.
Support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision was with the iPhone X, so it smoothly migrated to the updated smartphone.
Processor and graphics
The iPhone Xs has a more powerful A12 Bionic processor . This is the first processor of the company, produced by a 7-nanometer process. The predecessor of the A11 Bionic was produced in 10-nanometer.
Engineers managed to place 6.9 billion transistors. According to the company, A12 Bionic compared with the installed in the iPhone X processor:
– consumes 50% less battery capacity
– runs 15% faster
– more optimized for work with neural networks and artificial intelligence
The A12 Bionic and a more productive graphics core. Mobile graphics are processed at 50% faster than the predecessor.
Another improvement that Apple truly boasts is the interaction of the new processor with neural networks. Instead of a 2-nuclear coprocessor, the A12 Bionic uses an 8-core coprocessor.
For comparison: the neural coprocessor A11 Bionic could process up to 600 billion operations per second. The performance of the new chip is eight times higher . It is capable of processing up to 5 trillion operations per second.
For the consumer, this means only one thing: iPhone Xs is able to more efficiently process data in real time. This is useful for AR applications, of which there are not so many yet.
During the presentation, Apple stressed one more thing. With the release of iOS 12, which will be optimized for a new processor, the launch speed of applications on the iPhone Xs will increase by 30% (compared to the iPhone X).
The iPhone X was available in two versions: with 64 and 256 GB memory.
iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max became the first smartphones of the company with built-in memory capacity of as much as 512 GB . This is enough to store 100 thousand photographs.
Constructional camera iPhone Xs remained the same. The two main sensors are 12 megapixels, represented by wide-angle and telescopic lenses, and a 7-megapixel self-contained module.
The size of the sensor increased from 1.2 to 1.4 microns , which affected the sensitivity of the matrix, which now allows 50% more light .
Thus, in conditions of poor illumination, the iPhone Xs shoots better.
In the iPhone Xs, the Depth of Field of the displayed space (FLIP) was adjusted in portrait mode after you took the picture.
In addition, the iPhone Xs also features Smart HDR mode, which allows you to instantly take several pictures with different exposures.
iPhone Xs is protected by the IP68 standard . In the predecessor, this figure corresponds to IP67.
In practice, the key difference between the standards is:
– IPX7 (like the iPhone X) – the smartphone is not afraid of a short dive into the water to a depth of 1 meter
– IPX8 (like the iPhone Xs) – the smartphone is not afraid of a short dive into the water at a depth of more than 1 meter.
Apple assures that the waterproofness of the iPhone Xs was tested in a variety of liquids: juice, water, wine and beer. With a smartphone you can safely dive to the bottom of the pool, without worrying about its performance.
However, if you get water inside the gadget, you lose the warranty . This is written on the official website of the company.
What’s the difference between the iPhone Xs and the iPhone X?
In addition to the above differences, it is worth mentioning the less tangible changes that have affected the iPhone Xs:
- Thanks to the new processor, the iPhone Xs have a faster Face ID
- Comes with the iPhone Xs there is no audio converter anymore . It will have to be bought separately
- The autonomy of the iPhone Xs is slightly higher than the iPhone X. The difference is 30 minutes
- The cost of repairing the display and the rear glass panel remained at the same level
- iPhone Xs officially stands as well as the iPhone X, but only in the US. In Russia, the same price at the start of sales jumped from 79,990 rubles. up to 87,990 rubles. for the base version with 64 GB of memory
- The iPhone Xs has an improved NFC sensor that does not require opening applications for reading NFC tags
- The speed of wireless charging for iPhone Xs is higher . How much? Apple does not specify. Presumably from 7.5 watts it rose to 10 watts
- The iPhone Xs has support for two SIM-cards, but the Russian buyer is not interested. For China, this is hardware support, for other countries – eSIM + nanoSIM
On this list of changes can be considered complete. Whether such an upgrade is worth more than twenty thousand rubles or not, it’s up to you to decide.