Including for the sake of the picture of Konstantin Khabensky on May 9 did not show the new “Avengers”.
The Russian Oscar Committee will nominate the military drama of Konstantin Khabensky “Sobibor” the American Academy Award in the nomination “The Best Film in a Foreign Language”. This was reported by TASS with reference to the committee and producer Alexander Rodnyansky.
In 2019, the “Oscar” will be held on January 22. As the president of the Guild of Film Critics and Film Critics Cyril Razlogov earlier said , it would be worthwhile from Russia to nominate Dovlatov by director Aleksey Herman Jr., Summer Kirill Serebrennikov or “Tsar Bird” by Eduard Novikov.
The paintings in Russian won three times at the Oscar in the nomination “Best film in a foreign language”. Twice these were Soviet paintings: “War and Peace” (1968) by Sergei Bondarchuk and “Moscow does not Believe in Tears” (1981) by Vladimir Men’shov. The only film shot in modern Russia and received an Oscar is Nikita Mikhalkov’s drama “Burnt by the Sun” (1994).
What is known about Sobibor:
- “Sobibor” is a picture of the same-named concentration camp in Poland, where prisoners escaped in 1943. The main role in the film was played by Konstantin Khabensky, who also acted as a debutant director;
- The film was filmed with the support of the Russian Military Historical Society, which is headed by the Minister of Culture. After the premiere of “Sobibor” schoolchildren complained that they were sent to the premiere under the threat of lowering the ratings;
- Vladimir Medinsky was quoted as one of the authors of the Sobibor scenario, however, when the media drew attention to it, his name was removed. Soon the Minister of Culture confirmed that he had become the author of the idea that formed the basis of the film. The information that he was a screenwriter, also disappeared from “KinoPoisk” – the administration explained this by “updating” the data;
- In February 2018, for the premiere of Sobibor for a week moved the release of new “Avengers”, but after a negative reaction, the superhero gunman was returned to the previous date;
- On May 9, after the premiere of the Avengers, only military-patriotic films, including Sobibor, were shown in the cinema . But even on working days, at least twice more spectators attended the “War of Infinity” than the film by Khabensky.