The company believes that this is the largest product update in the last few years.
June 20 in Moscow Mail.Ru Group held a presentation of a new version of its mail service, which in 2018 will turn 20 years old. The logo “@ Mail.Ru”, which is also used in the logotype of the whole group of companies, has remained unchanged for many years: the last time it was changed insignificantly in 2015, but the form remained the same for the last 10 years. Now this is not “@ Mail.Ru”, but simply “@ Mail”.
While it is unclear whether other services of the company and the corporation itself will refuse the suffix “.ru” and also change the design – this will be told only in a few months. But the change in corporate style of mail was timed to a major product update: Mail.Ru believes that its service with a base of 100 million active accounts (with a monthly audience of 32.9 million people – according to Mediascope) changes the consumption model, but in fact they add a few useful trivia and clear up the accumulated problems in the design.
briefly talks about the essence of the changes.
- The new concept of mail is called EGO, because it revolves around his personal affairs, not social ties. Anna A. Artamonova, vice-president of Mail.Ru Group, as an example of personal (and not social) ties, has resulted in a “connection with the state” such as paying taxes. True, in the current form the new mail tax does not automate, but, for example, it allows you to pay fines traffic police;
- The buttons became much smaller, the interface is simpler and cleaner;
- Letters are now automatically grouped into three folders – “Social networks” (all messages from services), mailings (promotional activities of companies and all sorts of automatic messages) and the main box. In addition, some letters from known categories (in the company they are called “transactional”), the algorithm marks with icons: for example, letters about registration or entering services – by a key, about tickets and trips – by airplane;
- Judging by the first impressions of testing the new interface, the algorithm sorts the letters inaccurately: for example, some letters from Twitter, he sent to the folder “Social networks”, and other letters from Twitter and from “VKontakte” left in the general inbox. If the way “smart grouping” works, do not like it (for example, if it seems that the interface becomes too colorful from it), you can turn it off;
- Mail.Ru believes that the two folders – “Newsletters” and “Social Networks” – help greatly relieve the mailbox and clear the space for more important emails. However, “transaction” letters (orders from online stores, notifications of entry and registration in services, etc.) also take up a lot of space, and they are not automatically grouped into folders;
- There is a two-column mode of using mail and three-column mode – to simultaneously see the list of letters and work with their contents;
- When sending a message, you can ask to send a notification if it is not available for several hours or days;
- Sending a letter can be scheduled for a certain time – to the nearest minute;
- If the algorithm sees a question in the text of the received letter, it can offer a quick response in Russian. It works, in fact, not very fast: by clicking on the quick answer button a draft of the letter is created, which you need to send by the second click. In addition, you can not configure these quick answers;
- Advertising is now in the right column, and is still displayed after sending the letter;
- In the new “Mail” there is a function of unsubscription from newsletters. However, judging by how this function works, it does not unsubscribe from the mailing, but turns off the letters from a certain address – and since this address can come not only mailing, but also individual letters. In addition, the answer button is deep in the settings – for Gmail, for example, you can unsubscribe immediately from the menu of a separate letter;
- A special algorithm learns the habits of the user (where he comes from in the mail, from which devices, at what time), and if at some point the circumstances of the entry into the mail according to the algorithm change dramatically, the entry is prohibited. What will happen after this is not very clear – apparently, if the user himself tried to enter, he will have to prove that he is not a camel;
- You can write several letters at once (like in Gmail): instead of saving the unfinished one in the draft and returning to the letter again, you can collapse it to the bottom of the screen;
- Some services and services can be paid in one click from the mail – for example, the Internet from Rostelecom, a subscription to ivi or the library Litres (these are some of the first partners). To pay to the mailbox, you need to tie a bank card once;
- Through the mail, you can transfer money to friends without knowing their card number. It works just like in VKontakte: you just need to send a letter with a money order (to any mail, not just Mail.Ru), and the recipient himself will decide where to deduce money. The sender pays the commission: for VISA and “Mir” it is 1%, for Mastercard – 0,6% + 20 rubles. Processing – own Mail.Ru + VTB.