Now Google has two music services and a video platform with music, between which there is a general premium subscription. It’s confusing – but the company believes that everything is fine.
On June 18, in Russia (for the first time in a long time, the country got into the wave of release along with most European countries), two new services from Google are launched at once: music streaming of YouTube Music and YouTube Premium service , which gives access to advanced features of YouTube.
In the music service there is nothing particularly noteworthy: its functionality is not much different from Google Play Music and more like Boom (music service from VKontakte). YouTube Music “saves” only that it does not need a separate paid subscription: if the user has already paid for Google Play Music or YouTube Premium, the music streaming YouTube will work without limitations. Much more interesting is a paid subscription on YouTube.
tested the application for a week before launch, listened to a press briefing in the Google office, received answers to some popular questions: tezisno tell us what the essence and benefits of the two new services.
- YouTube Music is a music product based on YouTube, but the main kind of content here is audio. You can buy a subscription to it separately (169 rubles a month), but you can buy YouTube Premium (199 rubles per month), which disables all advertising in both video hosting and music streaming , allows you to play music in the background (including on YouTube) , gives an offline mode (you can download video / music to a smartphone and play without the Internet – cheers, “VDud” on the plane without tweaks). And this subscription gives access to YouTube Originals – several dozen English-language shows;
- YouTube Originals is more than 65 shows, the series of which are updated every week. LeBron James, Demi Lovato, Eminem, comedy sitcoms about relationships, sports (for example, the show F2 Finding Footbal, where they talk about the national team of Iceland) and even something like a reality show, where seven rioters are sent to carry out tasks under the supervision of Bear Grylls and Steve-O .
The original show from Russia and Russian-speaking shows in YouTube Originals will not be (as long as there are no even plans), and there will not be any dubbing – only the translation of subtitles;
- YouTube Music builds recommendations based on user history on YouTube, so it’s more suitable for those who often listened to music via video hosting and have a rich history (if there is no history, then tastes will need to be taught). The service updates recommendations every minute, taking into account not only new tastes, but also user’s geolocation and time of day – for example, it can advise different music if it goes to work or back, or show a playlist for training if it came to the gym;
- The launch of YouTube Music and YouTube Premium happened simultaneously in almost all of Europe and immediately in Russia, because “the Russian market is actively growing due to changes in anti-piracy legislation and the activities of other streaming services, ” says the head of music partnerships, YouTube Russia;
- YouTube Music theoretically has user content uploaded to YouTube, but “priority is given to content from copyright holders.” If the content from the copyright holders is not available on request, but the artist has his own channel, they will show the content from there. The covers will not show unless the word “cover” is specified specifically in the request. If someone’s video is on YouTube and they have not been lodged with a complaint, it’s likely that they can be found and heard through YouTube Music – that is, as in “VKontakte”;
- At listening there are two modes – only audio or together with video. The first mode obviously saves traffic and is enabled by default;
- An easy way to listen to music to your taste is the shuffle mode called “Myxtape”. There are tracks from the library, and songs new to the listener, but which “will seem very familiar” – because they are picked up in the topic already heard;
- If you want to go deeper into the work of some artist, there is a section “More from”, where songs, official clips, content from YouTube Premium and everything else are collected. Do not expect that each artist will have this section very detailed;
- It’s easier to share a track with YouTube Music than with other services. To listen, you do not need a subscription – it only gives you advanced features. You can send a link like music.youtube.com, and the interlocutor can play the track just as he would do with a normal YouTube video;
- At the press briefing there was a small injection in the direction of Instagram and Periscope. Inside the YouTube Music application you can watch direct music broadcasts, but they are not “filmed”, but made professionally. True, most likely, Russian music marathons in the application will not be;
- In Google they say that music in the service can be searched not only by name, but also by text and even by “sounds” – you can enter “zig ah zig ah” and it will give out Spice Girls. It works not only with English, but also with Russian, because it is made on Google search technologies;
- There is a huge confusion with names and prices. Subscription to YouTube Music is called YouTube Music Premium, and YouTube Premium is another subscription, wider, for everything. So, YouTube Music Premium will cost 169 rubles when paid on Google Play or through the site, and when paying through an account in the App Store – 229 rubles, “because the App Store has a commission that we can not avoid,” say in Google . In general, if you pay for a subscription, then not through the App Store ;
- YouTube Music can also be used without a subscription , but then the application will not have offline and background listening, and between the videos will show video ads as on YouTube;
- 14 months ago, Google combined its two music teams – Google Play Music and YouTube Music. Subscription to Google Play Music gives you access to YouTube Music and vice versa, and YouTube Premium – all at once. While services exist in parallel. I do not plan to close Google Play Music yet – the story is similar to iTunes, only now they have three services: one for buying tracks, another for a streaming library, and YouTube Music is more focused on the YouTube audience;
- In addition to music, there are clips in the app. A hodgepodge of content, while the interface is very minimalistic, confusing;
- YouTube Music has Russian-language editors, but they sit in London and do not make a lot of things at all. Exclusive music premieres in the service will not be – the company believes that such things do not attract new users;
- The model of YouTube Music is very similar to “VKontakte” and Boom, there, too, brought the music into a separate application where a subscription is required. But the difference is that in VKontakte there was always music in the form of a separate section and people got used to it, and YouTube in Russia was perceived as a platform for viewing clips. In Google they think differently – they say that there is a large stratum of people who are used to listening to music on YouTube, and this explains the need for such a service;
- In the future, YouTube Music, most likely, will be pre-installed on Android-smartphones, like the rest of Google services. The question is whether it will cause the same story in competition with “Yandex” and the FAS decision that happened around the choice of the default search engine, Google does not even want to comment on;
- The main thing that you need to remember about YouTube Premium – this subscription is not much more expensive than YouTube Music, but unlocks all the additional features of YouTube and disables all ads. In Russia, before such a possibility was not previously – it was tested in other markets and was called YouTube Red. Now it is.