The domestic corporation promised to continue to show video from onboard video cameras on missiles on most broadcasts.
While in the broadcasts of many launches of foreign carrier rockets (especially SpaceX rockets), videos from so-called “racquetcams” (on-board video cameras on space rockets) are being shown live for a few years, the broadcasters of domestic launches are not so spoiled by luxury from the rockets.
So far, such videos have been published only twice.
For the first time, Europeans supplied the space rocket of the Russian production of “rocket cars”: in April 2014, the Soyuz ST-A LV with the Fregat-M upper stage flew from the Kura space center, where the company that launched it Arianespace installed a set of SCAM 2 out of three cameras of the German firm Kayser-Threde. Video from them was published one week after the successful launch of satellites “Sentinel-1A”.
Russian manufacturers tried to keep up – in August 2015, a Moscow-based NGO measuring equipment presented at the Moscow International Aerospace Salon an onboard video control system for carrier rockets and upper stages (VSVK) with three 5-megapixel cameras.
This system, launched in production at the Izhevsk Radio Plant, was tested by the real cosmos on the first launch from the Vostochny cosmodrome on April 28, 2016. As in 2014, the video from the CSVC cameras on the Soyuz-2.1a missile with the upper stage “Volga” was not broadcast live, but was posted in the record after all was successful.
However, the picture was broadcast in a resolution of 640 × 480 and with a frequency of only 16 frames per second, which was due to the limitations of the capacity of the radio channel.
In February 2017, the TASS agency reported with reference to the Izhevsk Radio Plant that the SSBK was installed on the Soyuz-U rocket with Progress-MS-05 cargo vehicle, but the video recordings of this system were never published. In addition, the plant told the agency that its cameras are installed on all missiles launched to the ISS from Baikonur, and all Soyuz rockets starting from the East.
— РОСКОСМОС (@roscosmos) February 22, 2017
There are reasons to believe that cameras, as planned, were installed and transmitted to the ISS (missions “Union MS-06”, “Progress MS-06”, “Progress MS-07”) in 2017, as planned, on a new digital communication channel.
In February 2018, a worker of the Baikonur branch of the Center for the Operation of Space Infrastructure Objects told YouTube that the publication of the shooting from the “racquetcam” was hampered by certain “obstacles” on the YouTube broadcast from the launch of “Progress MC-08 “.
That’s literally in every second comment you said that it would be nice to install cameras on the outer shell of the rocket … I want to tell you, friends, to disclose the secret that in fact these cameras are already on the rocket, but since the shooting from these cameras is technological, we are not yet able to get it and make it live. There are certain obstacles for this, but we promise you we will try to get these images … Believe that we ourselves are no less than you are interested in seeing this picture live.
In March 2018, this YouTube channel was removed from the public access, at the end of May in Roskosmos and TsENKI the leadership was changed, and in the beginning of June the channel was restored.
On June 6, another expedition flew from Baikonur to the ISS, and the video from the BSVK on the Soyuz-FG rocket carrier was not shown again to the live broadcasters. Nevertheless, the video from the “rocket” on the Russian rocket – for the first time on a manned spacecraft, for the first time from Baikonur and for the first time in live broadcast – has been shown, albeit only on YouTube channel, NASA . There was shown the separation of the third stage, which you saw at its very beginning, and a few hours later, a longer record was published, which, however, began only after the separation of the fairing and ended before the separation of the third stage.
For the first time in the practice of Russian cosmonautics, the backward camera was installed not on the rocket, but on the spacecraft itself. As it was possible to find out even before the launch of journalist Anatoly Zak, such a decision was made in February 2017 to prevent the recurrence of the failures of the Progress trucks that occurred in 2015 and 2016.
Probably even more impressive staff of the department of the third stage from the “Union” of space enthusiasts was pleased with the official announcement of Roskosmos about a change in the policy of closure regarding the video from on-board video cameras .
At the launch on June 6, new methods of visual control over the flight of a space rocket were first worked out. An additional external camera is installed on manned and cargo ships … to provide visual control (in addition to the on-board video control system) in the separation of the third stage from the spacecraft.
Roskosmos in the future intends to integrate video from on-board video cameras into most launching campaigns for the popularization of space.
Sometimes unreasonable personnel reshuffles lead to the most unexpected changes for the better. Let’s see if Roskosmos realizes its new intentions.