Zhenya Nekrasov was an ordinary teenager: he loved computer games, often spent time with his older brother – the guys together were sorting out a family car. Everything changed after an accident – a few years ago Zhenya blew up in the yard (how – does not remember), then lost his sight and right hand.
Now his main hobby is programming. Zhenya is engaged in the project to launch space satellites, works in a team of other inventors on the hand bioprosthesis and creates his own social platform for people with vision problems. And today he complains only that in the day only 24 hours
Accessible environment on the Internet
He is 19 years old, and he studies at the first year of the direction “Software Engineering and Engineering of Artificial Intelligence” of the FEFU. He is led by a neighbor, a classmate, who can not get to the educational building independently.
Interest in programming he came by accident. In September 2013, after numerous operations, the young man entered the correctional school in the city of Artem, which is located near Vladivostok.
– A few months later, a teacher appeared, also blind and without a brush. He showed us how to interact with a computer, how to work. I learned quickly enough and for six months at school I mastered a course designed for four years. Then I began to be engaged in programming. I had to study everything myself. At the same time I never thought that I would be engaged in web development. But I tried it, I liked it, and I got involved, – says Zhenya.
One of his main children is a site adapted for people with vision problems. There you can communicate, make acquaintances, read news, look for work. Also, Zhenya plans to cooperate with ophthalmologic clinics so that they can communicate with future patients in a territory that is convenient for the blind.
Friends are helping to develop a young programmer. When he finishes this or that part of the code, one of the friends checks the location of the elements and, if necessary, indicates to the Wife that there are flaws. In all other respects, the student has adapted himself – each of his actions on the computer is sounded by a special program.
The young man explains the need to launch such a platform by the fact that, unlike sighted people, he has certain problems when working on the Internet.
– I do not see the information on the screen, I listen to it. The program that I’m working with now does not see and does not recognize pictures, because it’s graphics. It recognizes only the text. Most developers neglect the creation of elements (buttons, links, lists) with which a blind person can interact. And we have great difficulties in navigating, – Zhenya shares.
However, the developer specifies that his project is not a social network. With them, he had experience of interaction – and not the most successful. So, Zhenya appealed to representatives of one of them with the proposal to optimize the social networking interface for people with vision problems. But there the idea of a guy refused.
After that, he lost interest in social networks – the guy switched to his project. According to the plan Zhenya ordinary users should access the site in about a year. While he does not have time to closely deal with it – a lot of attention requires study, as well as other projects.
Eight people and one space satellite
In October 2017, Zhenya went to one of the lectures on the theory of solving inventive problems from Samsung. When it was over, the guy decided to leave, but could not – there was no one to get him out of the audience. I had to stay for the next lesson – dedicated to space satellites.
– When the lecture was over, I thought: it is necessary to somehow go out, and then the people will disperse – that I will do something. I got up, went, came across a company of guys. I stood and listened to what they were talking about. And then Stanislav Karpenko, who is now leading us, asked me a question: “What kind of course are you from?” I answered that from the first. And the guys from the magistracy, who talked around, said they heard about me. Stanislav and I agreed to meet, I was interested in this project, we talked several times, and everything – I’m there, – recalls the Primor.
Zhenya was in the team of inventors from FEFU, whose task is to create a satellite by 2020, which will go on a rocket into space. There are eight people in the group. Zhenya will develop software to create a local flight control center. It will be a large radio amateur station, which will be able to coordinate the movement of satellites. It will be created on the basis of FEFU, and, perhaps, its power will be used in the future – to launch other spacecraft.
This system should be very accurate, because the slightest failure or any mistake can nullify the works of many people.
– I’m currently studying real-time operating systems. But most likely, you will not be able to use the finished system. Probably, it is necessary to do something the. This is a rather laborious task, because to force the hardware to execute large processes and quickly respond to requests from the flight control center-to turn the satellite in space, to change the position of the sail or the battery, is rather difficult. And this should all be done instantly, – says the programmer.
Real-time information systems are a special class of operating systems. There are very high demands on efficiency and reliability, Zhenya explains. For example, such a system does not have the right to make a mistake. If there is a suspicion that something has gone wrong, everything is recounted. In addition, satellites use a special “iron”. Under it, the programmer notes, you have to adapt or process the already existing code. The compilation process itself requires large computational resources.
In addition to creating the necessary code, inventors from the “space” team of FEFU must solve many other problems. One of them is the creation of a space sail, through which a satellite can move in space. As part of the work on this task, designers will have to come up with a special material that will withstand the effects of high temperatures, and also decide how to place the sail in the apparatus without affecting the rest of the filling.
– We are developing the concept of solar sail. How to fold it correctly, what materials to use, how to make it so that the fabric does not tear. This is an entire equation with a set of parameters. The area of the canvas should reach several square meters, so that the satellite could use solar energy. It must be placed in a structure weighing several kilograms. We need something fundamentally new so that we can compete with other devices, “says Zhenya.
In the work on this project, young inventors should take into account other factors. For example, it is difficult to understand how the structure in zero-gravity behaves. Another problem is extreme temperature changes.
By 2020, the guys need to submit a ready-made prototype. Before the launch, he will have to undergo tests at the Federal Space Agency. And if their results are positive, the satellite will leave the cosmodrome Vostochny with a payload into space.
The launch of the devices will take place within the framework of the competition between teams of students from Russian universities. The task of the participants is to make sure that their machine will follow all instructions from the MCC as soon as possible. Whose design will cope, that will win. In this case, according to the conditions, it is impossible to use any types of fuel – only the energy of sunlight and the solar wind.
The power of thought and iron grip
The prosthesis worn by Zhenya costs about one and a half million rubles. It is made of high-strength aluminum and titanium alloy. To the upper and lower parts of the guy’s forearm are attached sensors, which, reading the movements of the muscles, move the fingers of the prosthesis – large and index. Thanks to this, Eugene can keep objects.
Now the programmer in a team with other activists is working on creating a new-generation prosthesis – its cost will vary around 300 thousand rubles.
At the festival Nauka 0+, which was held in FEFU in October, the children demonstrated a prototype of another artificial brush invented by them. It can be controlled by the power of thought. To do this, you need to put on a helmet (small bezel), then imagine how you take the object.
After the sensors are counted from the surface of the skull of the bio stream and transmitted via a bluetooth channel to a computer that will send signals directly to the prosthesis. Then the drives that are installed there, pull the cables and the brush will shrink or open. One has only to think: “I want to squeeze the brush,” and it shrinks, Zhenya explains.
– Now we decided to work on the technology of direct physical contact. In our future prosthesis there will be not only a grip-grip, like a crab’s claw. Our apparatus will be able to drive each finger individually, and it will also have a rotation of the brush, “says Zhenya.
After it is planned to combine two technologies – physical contact and the power of thought. This will increase the functionality of the prosthesis and negate the likelihood of arbitrary movements.
The brush will be made of environmentally friendly bioplastics. It is planned to print on a 3D printer, which will lower the cost of production.
As an operator of the prosthesis, Zhenya regularly tests the design on himself. According to him, an ordinary person, who is okay with the limbs, it is difficult to imagine yourself in the place of someone who does not have a brush.
– At us at cutting off of extremities there can be interesting consequences which developers do not consider. For example, my brush has grown together so that it seems to me as if I were holding it in my fist. And so for six years. I can not unravel it, because the muscles are a single continuous scar. And my role as an operator is to help, to tell, – he explains.
Guitar, spatula and tennis glove
Of course, Zhenya does not just study or research projects. In his life there is a place for more mundane hobbies – among them, for example, guitar. To do this, I had to go to the trick – the teacher gave Zhenya a tennis glove, he dabbed a plastic tongue cut from a spatula, and beat them on the strings as a mediator.
At the same time the guy never thought that he would play the guitar. This idea was prompted by his acquaintance with another blind person – Mikhail Avakumov also does not have a brush, but he skillfully managed the instrument.
– I turned to Vladimir Holstinin and Vitali Dubinin from Aria, I asked for help. Only Natalia Terentyeva, the wife of the former guitarist of the band Sergey Terentyev, responded. She helped with the material, suggested where to go, who to specify, – Zhenya shares.
Today in his repertoire there are a lot of songs, including English-language hits – the song Zombie of the Irish band The Cranberries and Hotel California of Americans Eagles.
After university, Zhenya hopes to open his own company, connected with consulting and programming. But he does not intend to leave science – he plans to deal with cryptography and data encryption.
With their friend Sasha, they now and then share new ideas – how to solve these or other technical problems, where to get another grant. So do not be surprised if something else is added to the current list of projects. And the only unsolvable task here is, perhaps, one – how to increase the number of hours in a day.