Touch ID started for the first time on the iPhone 5S in 2013. Later, the scanner was equipped with new models of iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro.
At the moment, there are 2 generations of sensors that are used in the technique of Apple:
Touch ID 1st generation is used in:
- iPhone 5s;
- iPhone 6/6 Plus;
- iPhone SE;
- iPad Air 2;
- iPad mini 3/4;
- iPad Pro 12.9 “(the first generation of 2015 release);
- iPad Pro 9.7 “;
- iPad 2017/2018.
The faster Touch ID 2nd generation is installed in:
- iPhone 6S / 6S Plus;
- iPhone 7/7 Plus;
- iPhone 8/8 Plus;
- iPad Pro 10.5 “;
- iPad Pro 12.9 “(second generation of 2017 release);
- MacBook Pro 2016/2017.
Generations of sensors differ only in the speed of response, but not in the degree of recognition of prints. The features and techniques described below will work with the Touch ID of both generations.
What affects the work of Touch ID
The fingerprint sensor at the time of appearing in the iPhone 5s was on top of the available solutions from competitors. Developers managed to create a device that correctly reads the owner’s imprint fairly quickly and with high accuracy.
Two years later, the sensor was modified, halving the response time of the sensor.
The work of the sensor is definitely affected by dirt and liquids. Maximum accuracy of operation is guaranteed with a clean sensor surface and no fat, dirt and water on the finger. Despite this, the scanner requires daily cleaning only under very difficult operating conditions.
Most users do not need to wipe the Touch ID or wash and wipe their hands before using the smartphone.
What does not affect the work of Touch ID
The ambient temperature and humidity are not affected by the sensor. Even if you use the device in the cold, when the skin on the fingers is slightly compressed, a minor change in fingerprints will not have a serious effect on the operation of the Touch ID.
Does not affect the speed of operation of the battery status of the smartphone and the level of its charge. Some users mistakenly believe that the sensor with a charged battery works better.
There is no confirmed evidence of the presence of the Touch ID training system, when repeatedly touching the sensor in the Settings menu – Touch ID and password-code increases the accuracy of the sensor’s operation. In this menu, this is intended only to indicate the entered fingerprint.
How can I improve the accuracy of the Touch ID
The essence of the method is to add several fingerprints of one finger, but at different angles and in different positions. If the smartphone does not include fingerprints of the wife / husband, children or relatives, you can score all five slots with your data.
Use either two fingerprints for the non-working hand and three for the working hand, or four for the worker and one for the non-working.
1. Go to Settings – Touch ID and passcode and delete the existing fingerprints.
2. Now add a new fingerprint for the hand that most often holds the smartphone. When adding a print, try to press the upper part of the finger pad to the sensor.
3. Add another fingerprint and enter the same finger again, but most of the touches are made by the lower part of the finger pad.
4. Add a third fingerprint for the same finger, but while holding the smartphone not in your hand with a normal grip, but in the most usual place, for example, taking the iPhone out of your pocket.
5. Now you can add two fingerprints for the thumb of the second hand or just one such print, and the last one to fix the finger of the main finger in another atypical position, for example, pressing on the smartphone in the car holder.
Adding two prints on one finger (one for the top of the pad, and the second for the bottom), you can make a large area of the skin in the memory of the device. When adding a print in a special position (taking it out of the pocket, in the holder or on the table), we teach the sensor a common pressing at a certain angle.
This simple method will minimize the percentage of false alarms of the Touch ID sensor.