Another 45 people were seriously injured because of cars that they accidentally left in their garages with a running engine.
The New York Times reported that since 2006, 28 residents of the United States have died due to the fact that did not stop the engine in cars with push-button ignition system. As an example of such a situation, the publication led the story of a Florida resident David Schaub (David Schaub).
Fred Schaub Toyota RAV4 parked in the garage of his home, and then went into the next room with the wireless remote control in hand. He believed that he had muffled the car. Twenty-nine hours later he was found dead. While he was sleeping, his house was filled with carbon monoxide.
NYT authors added that in the same period of the push-button machines rarely fatal nezaglushennyh 45 people were injured. Some of them found brain damage associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.
NYT noted that as of 2018 half of all cars sold in the US are equipped with an ignition system that does not require a special key and run on the instrument panel with a single button. This technology first appeared in the early 2000s.
In 2011, the American Society of Auto Engineers called on automakers to incorporate into their vehicles a warning system for an unmuted engine. Later, the National Service for Road Safety made a similar request. Both initiatives have not found support among major auto companies.
In 2015, American lawyers filed a group suit against most popular automakers. They demanded that the engines of button cars be disconnected in case the wireless key fob is far from the car. In September 2016, the judge dismissed the claim.