Examples were shown at hearings about foreign interference in the US presidential election.
At the second hearing of the congress on the impact of Russia on US elections, representatives of Facebook showed advertising posts in social networks that were allegedly sponsored by the Russian government. According to researchers, thousands of accounts in Facebook and Instagram bought ads with content about US elections, thus interfering with their progress.
compiled a list of advertisements in social networks, which, according to researchers, could affect the views of American citizens before the elections.
Rights of Blacks
This publication shows three African Americans who died in a police shootout or while in custody. Their deaths were the occasion for mass rallies of the organization Black Lives Matter, which opposes violence, including the police, against the black population.
- Advertisement was created in July 2015 on Facebook;
- The target audience is people over 18 who live in the states of Georgia, Maryland, Missouri or Virginia;
- Coverage – a record appeared in the tape more than 200 thousand people, it was clicked by about 12 thousand users;
- Expenses for advertising – 53425 thousand rubles (915 dollars).
Murder of policemen
The picture shows policemen saluting the coffin with the deceased colleague. The caption refers to a shootout in eastern Boston, which led to the death of two policemen and an attacker, the Black Lives Matter activist.
At the end of the publication, a candidate from the Democratic Party Hillary Clinton is spoken about. She is called “the main supporter of brutality against police officers” and compared with Donald Trump – “the only candidate who can protect the police from terrorists”.
- The advertisement was published on Facebook in October 2016;
- Target audience – people over 18 years old, who have downloaded the page “Being a patriot” in the social network;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the stream of 3,362 people, 761 users clicked on it;
- Advertising costs – 500 rubles (8.56 dollars).
Theme of homosexuality
The publication refers to the coloring book “Amateur-Bernie” (Buff Bernie). It is filled with images of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders in the pose of a bodybuilder, and alludes to rumors of his homosexual inclinations.
- The advertisement was published in March 2016 in the LGBT United group, dedicated to the LGBT movement;
- The target audience is people from 18 to 65 years of age and older, who have reached the page of LGBT United;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 848 people. 54 users clicked on it;
- Costs – 111 rubles (slightly less than two dollars).
Rally against Trump
The publication, created the day after Trump’s victory in the elections, calls residents of New York to go to a rally against the elected president.
- The advertisement was published on November 10, 2016 in Facebook;
- Target audience – people from 18 to 65 years and older. Advertising was shown only to those who were in New York or its surroundings, and liked the page “BM” in the social network. This group stands for democratic values;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 188 people, it was clicked by 26 people;
- Costs – 113 rubles, (slightly less than two dollars).
Corruption activities of Hillary Clinton
The publication quotes Bernie Sander, who criticizes Bill and Clinton’s “Clinton Foundation”, a nonprofit organization. According to the politician, the institution could receive money from foreign countries, including authoritarian rulers.
Fasting also accuses Clinton of being indifferent to women and sex minorities in other countries. “So why so many people go to vote for it,” – says the end of the publication.
- The advertisement was published on Facebook in June 2016;
- Target audience – people from 18 to 65 years and older, who showed interest in the activities of Bernie Sanders;
- Coverage – The record appeared in the news stream of 1938 people, 222 users clicked on it;
- Costs – 500 rubles (8.56 dollars).
The picture shows an armed adult and a child. Signed below – “Our children must be educated in this way. This is not a call to violence, but a demonstration of confidence and the ability to protect oneself ”
- The record was published in Instagram in April 2016;
- Target audience – people from 13 to 65 years and older, interested in the activities of Donald Trump;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 108 thousand people, it was clicked by 857 users;
- Costs – 17306 rubles (297 dollars).
Confrontation between Clinton and Trump
This advertisement calls Hillary Clinton “Satan” and calls for voting for Donald Trump. “He is far from being a saint, but at least an honest man who thinks about his country,” the text explains.
- The advertisement was published on Facebook in October 2016;
- The target audience is people aged 18 to 65 and older who are interested in religion or American media personalities like Bill O’Reilly ;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 71 people, 14 users clicked on it;
- Costs – 64 rubles (a little more than a dollar).
Texas Branch of the United States
The record urges residents of Texas to say there is no solid “thief” establishment and “crimes” committed by Hillary Clinton (in the text she is listed as Killary, which is consonant with the word “kill” – “kill”).
“Let’s remind them of what Texas is made of, and show that we are ready to secede,” is also indicated in the text.
- The record was published on Facebook in October 2016;
- The target audience is people from 18 to 65 years of age or older who have downloaded the Heart of Texas page on Facebook;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 16 thousand people, 2342 users clicked on it;
- Costs – 3200 rubles (55 dollars).
The loss of American soldiers in wars
The picture shows a woman crying next to the coffin of an American soldier. The headline “What is the difference” is taken from the statement of Hillary Clinton during the hearing about the attack on the American embassy in Benghazi in 2012.
“Hillary Clinton (here again used by Killary) will never understand what it’s like to lose a loved one for the sake of one’s native country,” says the signature to the picture.
- The target audience is people aged 18 to 65 and older who are interested in the activities of war veterans in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq;
- Coverage – advertising appeared in the tape of 17654 thousand people, 517 users clicked on it;
- Costs – 3 thousand rubles (53 dollars).