Opening of the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi in 2014 this Friday, February 7. In the Winter Olympics includes all 15 sports, while in the summer – 41 sport. Sochi Olympics ends on February 23.
The cost of the Olympic Games in Sochi
1. This is the most expensive Olympics in history. The cost of its holding exceeded 50 billion dollars, which exceeded the original budget of $ 12 billion. For comparison, the last Winter Olympics in Vancouver cost $ 8 billion.
Participants Olympics in Sochi
2. Never before in the Winter Olympics was not involved so many countries. There will be 88 countries represented. First will participate Paraguay and Zimbabwe.
3. Most major countries sent this year most athletes. From Russia will perform 225 athletes from the United States – from Canada and 230 – 220.
Mascots of the Sochi Olympics in 2014
4. For the Winter Olympics in Sochi was chosen three mascot: White Bear, Bunny and Snow Leopard. They were selected audience during the vote during the All-Russian competition mascots games.
5. Expected 12 new competitions, which debuted at the Winter Olympics in Sochi in 2014, including the mixed team competition in figure skating and ski jumping in women.
Medals Olympic Winter Games in Sochi 2014
6. Athletes to win gold on February 15, will be awarded a special gold medal with pieces of a meteorite that fell in Chelyabinsk 15 February 2013.
7. Each medal weighs between 460 and 531 grams, to produce each lasted about 18 hours. This will be the biggest medal with a diameter up to 10 cm Total will be played 98 sets of awards and medals vrucheno1300.
Gold medal of the Olympic Games
8. Gold medals are made of silver, but they will be applied gold plating. Its cost is estimated at $ 6,000. Last time, by the way, of pure gold medals were awarded at the Olympics in 1912 in Stockholm.
Olympic Torch Relay 2014
9. Olympic flame overcame record distance on the way to Sochi – 65 000 km. Among the modes of transport on which the Olympic flame made my way were: car, plane, train, and even reindeer team. Torch passed through more than 2,900 towns and torchbearers visited 14,000 people.
Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi
10. Sochi will become one of the warmest cities hosting the Winter Olympics. The city is known subtropical climate and winter here is quite warm and the temperature rarely drops below 12 degrees Celsius.